2013 Fontainebleau, Paris.
When I met Eva Mwai at the INSEAD’s executive programme «Innovate Health for Tomorrow» she presented an early healthcare project status about reaching truck drivers in remote african areas. With self-serving boxes alongside some truckstops providing information, material and medication about awareness for public health and safer sex. Not only our Professor Stephen Chick was thrilled about her informations but our whole group of disruptive healthcare innovators. And she inspired me a lot about my own prototyping for remote healthcare in the (Swiss) mountains.
Today the organisation Eva is working for as the Regional Director, East Africa, located in Nairobi, shows an impressive growth.
North Star Alliance.
This organisation startet in 2006, Utrecht, The Netherlands. Having now regional offices in Nairobi, Kenya and Kwazulu Natal, South Africa.
Mission statement is about to bring quality and sustainable health services to hard-to-reach populations.
The healtcare programme for truck drivers and sex workers is a unique success story in the hospital and clinic world. See this 2 minutes wrap-up movie.
– 36 Blue Box Roadside Clinics in 11 countries, packed with (ambulatory) primary healthcare
– First clinic: Mwanza, Malawi
– Focus: Stop HIV and other diseases from spreading
– Providing services to 300’000 truck drivers and sex workers every year
– Vision: To reach 1 million people
– Annual Report 2015 here (plus PDF); 135’938 visits – a total of 253’287 clinical and educational sessions and a total of 1’881’985 condoms (44,5% to men)
– Target group characteristics for primary healthcare (82’420 people): 53% men, 30% truck drivers/16% sex workers, 32% with the age 25-34
– HIV counselling and testing (45’608 people): 63,5% men
– Revenue 4,448,234 Euros, Surplus 845,905 Euros
– Lots of partners like Johnson+Johnson, Innovations in Healthcare, Chevron, Total, TNT, Medecins sans frontières, University of Manitoba…
Eva and the whole organisation can be proud of these achievements called now the Star Driver Initiative. One of various outstanding committments and activities.
A thought about branding, marketing, communication for a healthcare NPO. As a communication and marketing expert I experience always the same effect when going into the performance, story and look&feel of a hospital or clinic: the more professional, the more I am going into the details. North Star Alliance shows great graphics, formats and content. To me that doubles the sustainable encounter with their convincing action package. They act as professionals, providing a professional healthcare model, connecting to worldwide professionals – the choice to realize a professional visual identity was a logical next step.
I wish you all power, energy and happiness in the pursuit of your goals. Well, really well done North Star Alliance. And my respect for your work within the last three years, Eva. Healtcare is a place of hope.